Indiana Child Support Statute Changes

Are you aware of the upcoming changes in Indiana child support statutes that may affect child support payments and your child’s eligibility for educational support?  Effective July 1, 2012, Indiana Parenting Guidelines (Public Law 111-2012) will change a child’s presumptive age for termination of child support from twenty-one to nineteen.  The law also amends the time frame in which a child may seek educational support, affecting children in the 18-21 age range who may need educational support or may soon lose their eligibility for support.  Parents with previous support orders may want to revisit the issue if the order does not explicitly refer to “educational support.”

All parents should consider seeking legal advice prior to terminating their support obligations when their child turns nineteen.  Although many parents’ duties to pay child support will end when their child turns nineteen, a parent who fails to pay support that is owed risks a finding of contempt and possible criminal sanctions.  Also, if you have additional children subject to a child support order, you will likely need to modify your child support obligation upon the emancipation of your nineteen year old.

Our firm is committed to providing clients with personalized service and updating parents on changes in Indiana law that may affect their interests and their children.  We encourage parents who believe that their child may be affected to contact counsel and assess whether action is necessary before Public Law 111-2012 becomes effective July 1, 2012.

Please contact Harden Jackson Law at 317-569-0770 or  for more information about the changes in Indiana’s Parenting Guidelines.

The above is for informational purposes only should not be considered legal advice.  Each case is unique and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.

Posted in: and

One response to “Indiana Child Support Statute Changes”

  1. Andrew M. Weir says:

    I have a question about the child support change beginning July 1. I have heard people say that this law is retroactive to all cases. My youngest son turned 19 on September 4, 2011. Am I able to go back and reclaim support I paid from that date? Thank you for your reply.

Contact Information